To set up residential service for water, sewer, and garbage with the City of De Smet, please contact the Finance Office to obtain an application.
UTILITY BILLING PROCEDURE
The following schedule is followed every two months to process the utility bills for water, wastewater and solid waste:
1. Water and wastewater charges are billed every two months as follows:
2. Solid waste collection charges are billed every two months as follows:
3. The bills are processed and mailed on the 1st day of the billing month.
4. On the morning of the 21st day of the billing month, the mail will be opened and all payments received will be recorded along with all payments received through 5:00 PM on the 20th. A penalty of $10.00 will then be added to the unpaid accounts with a balance in excess of five dollars.
5. After the penalties are processed, the delinquent notices will be mailed.
6. The delinquent notice allows a minimum of ten days to pay the account in full and avoid disconnection.
7. If payment in full is not received by the deadline stated on the delinquent notice, a notice advising the date of disconnection (door knocker) will be posted by a city employee at the service location of each delinquent account between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
8. If the account remains unpaid at the date and time specified, a service disconnect order is given to the responsible city employee, ordering disconnection immediately.
9. A service disconnection according to the above described provisions can be restored by making payment of the account in full plus a twenty-five dollar service charge either to the city employee or at City Hall.
218 Calumet Ave. SE
De Smet, SD 57231